Your closet is one place you visit every single day, so whether it’s tiny or huge, it should make you happy. Whether you are working with a walk-in closet, a dresser and shallow closet or some other combination, creating your dream closet is all about being creative. Even the smallest of studios can have a glamorous, organized closet. Here are five tips to help you get started!
1. CLEAN IT OUT – The first step to creating your dream closet is by removing clutter. What is the point of storing and organizing items you no longer wear, want, or use? Do you remember seeing closet inspirations on Pinterest? Notice how perfect and color-coordinated they are? Follow this handy guide from MakeSpace to cleaning out your closet, and then let’s get organizing!
2. GROUP BY SIZE AND COLOR – hang items such as dresses, skirts, and button-downs. Drawers and dressers are great for pants and t-shirts, and always fold sweaters (hanging will stretch them!). Try organizing similar colors like whites, beige, blues, blacks together. It will help create a clean and modern look to your closet just like the ones we see on pinterest.
IMAGE – OHYOUPRETTYTHINGS
3. DISPLAY YOUR ACCESSORIES- Use your dresser top or shelves to display accessories and jewelry. Bookcases are wonderful for storing/organizing accessories and shoes.Try clear or clearly-labeled bins and baskets for items like scarves and small bags. Rotate out seasonal items, as well sweaters can go into hidden storage during warmer months. Making sure you can see and thus grab everything will make it much easier to get ready in the morning.
4. EDIT YOUR FAVORITES – What are your ten key pieces you used most often to create outfits? Put them in the front where they are more visible and accessible.Wear your ten favorite pieces, in as many combinations as possible, for a week. See how that feels. If things are going well, try a second week. If you are missing a key piece, pull it out of the back of the closet; it’s not the end of the world if you wear 11 essential pieces of clothing.
5. CUSTOMIZE YOUR WALL AND FLOOR SPACE – Make it personal and simple. Add some simple interior accessories such as floor rugs, wall pictures, jewelry hangers with accents of gold, silver or rose gold. Add an accent/signature couch or maybe a TV if you have enough space. Wallpapering the back of a bookcase for a pop of personalization and color or display a piece of art that makes you smile while you get dressed. Lighting is very important. You want to be able to see all the cute stuff in your closet If you’ve got a walk-in, make sure the overhead lighting is adequate. In smaller spaces, clip-on lamps and LED lights for shelves can be lifesavers. Adding mirrors where possible will expand light and, of course, let you check out your outfit.
What do you think? Do you have any other tips for creating a dream closet space?